Although uncommonly found in the average American’s pantry, blackstrap molasses is called for in many cookie, cake, and baked bean recipes. This is the thickest, darkest, and most dense form of molasses and is made by boiling sugar cane juice three times. Through this process, remaining sugars have been fully caramelized, which lends the robust and bittersweet flavor to your recipes.
Although categorized as a sweetener, blackstrap molasses is not stripped of its nutrients like other refined sugars. In fact, it is a great source of iron and provides you with 13.3% of the daily recommended value in just 2 teaspoons. This molasses is also an excellent source of manganese, copper, calcium, potassium, magnesium, and vitamin B6. In addition, blackstrap molasses has a low glycemic index, making it a great alternative for those that are diabetic.
Inspired by the health benefits of blackstrap molasses, we at KOR wanted to provide you with a delicious vegan and gluten-free recipe below.
Gluten-Free, Vegan Gingerbread:
Serving Size: Makes one, 8 x 8-inch cake.
Earth Balance (for greasing the pan)
3 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer
4 Tablespoons warm water
5/6 cup (100 grams) millet flour
5/6 cup (100 grams) brown rice flour
1/3 cup (50 grams) potato starch (not flour)
1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup unsulfured blackstrap molasses
1/3 cup coconut oil
1 cup unsweetened cinnamon applesauce
1) Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8 x 8-inch pan with Earth Balance.
2) In a small bowl, stir together egg replacer and warm water until the mixture is thick and of egg consistency. Set aside for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
3) In a large bowl, sift all dry ingredients together except sugar.
4) In another bowl, combine the sugar, molasses, coconut oil, applesauce, and egg replacer mixture; whisk until incorporated.
5) Add the molasses mixture to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
6) Pour the batter into the greased pan and bake about 30 to 35 minutes.
7) Cool prior to eating and store in refrigerator.